After World War II, the area north of the Missouri River experienced intense growth, and the Most Rev. Charles H. LeBlond assigned the task of establishing a new parish and school for the Diocese of St. Joseph to Rev. Maurice Wogan.
In the spring of 1947, Father Wogan, a man of determination, logic and vision, purchased five acres of pasture in what was then Linden, MO. His new community’s first Mass was celebrated in the Englewood School Auditorium on Easter Sunday, April 6, 1947 with a congregation of 40 people. On Christmas Eve 1947, Mass was celebrated in a two-story army chapel that had been dismantled and transported to the site of St. Charles Borromeo Parish. Bishop LeBlond dedicated the church on February 14, 1948. Story has it that St. Charles Borromeo was LeBlond's patron saint, but "Borromeo" did not appear on church records until around 1960.
The first floor of the Church was renovated into three classrooms, and in the fall of 1949 three Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth, Kansas began teaching. They became the first Catholic School in Clay or Platte County. In 1952, a separate school building was constructed.
A new church building was dedicated on September 3, 1956 by Archbishop Edwin O'Hara. Prior to the dedication, the diocesan map of Missouri had been redrawn, creating the Diocese of Kansas City-St. Joseph. Oddly enough, St. Charles Borromeo Church straddled the border line of two municipalities. Two separate building permits were required to build the church.
The Rev. James Lyons became St. Charles' second pastor in 1963. He guided the 900 parish families through the challenging changes of the Second Vatican Council, including the liturgical reforms and the growth of lay involvement in parish leadership. By the 1970's the parish was home to 1,650 families.
In 1978, the Rev. William Baumann became St. Charles' pastor. As a liturgist, Rev. Baumann expanded the music program, developed the process of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults, and continued extensive lay involvement in the ministries of the parish.
Rev. Baumann was succeeded as pastor by the Rev. Michael Tierney in 1984, and then by Rev. Norman Rotert in 1985. Under Father Rotert's leadership, the parish moved into programs of social justice, renewal and reorganization, including adding a “sister-parish” with St. Ann Parish in Chimaltenango, Guatemala.
In 1991, the Rev. John Wolf, C.PP.S., began pastoral duties at St. Charles as the Society of the Precious Blood (Congregatio Prezziosisimi Sanguine, or C. PP. S.) accepted from the diocese the full responsibility of parish leadership. In addition to the continued flourishing of pastoral ministries, attention to the physical plant and renovation projects marked Fr. Wolf's pastorate.
In 2003, the Rev. Jack McClure, C.PP.S, became pastor at St. Charles Parish. Under his leadership, Together in Faith, intergenerational religious education, became a key part of St. Charles Borromeo’s religious formation.
In 2007, the Community of the Precious Blood returned the pastorate of the parish back to the diocese. The Rev. Ken Riley was appointed our new pastor. A parish synod was held February 26-28, 2009.
In 2012, the Rev. Joseph Totton was appointed pastor effective June 12.
In 2016, Father Donald P. Farnan was appointed pastor.